27.4.12

SHOW PECULIAR THINGS!

I would like to talk about a tip I wrote down during the last Cambridge University Press event I attended.


How can you help your students to remember new vocabulary or new structures? 

The equation is: Memory = Repetition x Interest.

Since I'm pretty sure you spend your time repeating things many times I'm going to focus on the INTEREST.

One option is to keep in mind this slogan 'MAKE IT PERSONAL!' constantly. It means you should avoid abstraction and try to contextualize every new element, particularly referring it to your pupils' experience and background.

The second option you have, a complementary one, I would say, is to SHOW PECULIAR THINGS. A curious picture will certainly grab or increase their attention and feedback. 

Here you have a couple of examples that may inspire your creativity. 


Enjoy them!

More Activities:
In the Fridge 
Tiny Garden
Gingerbread People

2 comments:

  1. Hello,my name name is A from Thailand.Im happy after I read your profile.Sometimes I don't know all those words so that Im not very well in English,but Im tring to learn because I have son 6 and daughter 3.I would like to teach them about speaking English language.You are so young why u're interested in children.Anyway I'm glad to know u.Very sorry if my language is not good enought.Sincerity from Mom's heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello A! Thanks for your comment. I will soon post more activities for the youngest ones. I hope you enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete